Controlled education sector
The controlled sector is the largest education sector in Northern Ireland. There are 552 controlled schools in Northern Ireland, representing 49% of all schools. Read more about controlled schools success here.
The modern controlled schools sector is a large, diverse and distinctive education system.
• Church related
• Diverse in provision and governance
• Inclusive in making provision for children and young people from all backgrounds
• Aspirational in seeking to provide the best possible education.
Breakdown of controlled schools by Type (2021/22):
• 147,131 pupils attend controlled schools
• 59% of pupils in controlled schools are Protestant, 11% are Catholic, 30% are ‘other’
• 42% of newcomer pupils in Northern Ireland attend controlled schools
• 29% of controlled pupils are entitled to free school meals
• 96% of controlled schools are members of the Controlled Schools’ Support Council