Controlled education sector
The controlled sector is the largest education sector in Northern Ireland. There are 560 controlled schools in Northern Ireland, representing 48% of all schools.
The modern controlled schools sector is a large, diverse and distinctive education system.
- Church related
- Diverse in provision and governance
- Inclusive in making provision for children and young people from all backgrounds
- Aspirational in seeking to provide the best possible education.
- 140,632 pupils attend controlled schools, representing 42% of all pupils.
- 66% of pupils in controlled schools are Protestant, 10% are Catholic, 18% have no religion and 6% are ‘other’.
- Over a third of newcomer pupils in Northern Ireland attend controlled schools.
- 31% of controlled pupils are entitled to free school meals.
- Almost 90% of controlled schools are members of the Controlled Schools’ Support Council.
Controlled schools are managed by the Education Authority through Boards of Governors.